积分

版主

音符
音乐币
贡献

音乐大神

发表于 2020-2-7 10:17:39 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
简介:
I purchased “West of 5th” and “New York Time” (for which I will provide comments immediately following) at the same time. I reached first for “West of 5th” with Hank Jones, Christian McBride and Jimmy Cobb. I have immensely enjoyed recordings of all three musicians (and McBride live on several occasions), but the draw for me without hesitation reaching for this disc first was the preeminent Hank Jones. We are talking about legacy, the dean of jazz pianists today, the eldest of the Jones Boys (Elvin and Thad), and I’ve heard said the “master of trio”. And of course, the credentials of Cobb (aka the “legendary” Jimmy Cobb) and more recently McBride are a mile long. It is not at all surprising that McBride is the bassist for so many of the recent jazz discs in my collection. Forget altogether that Jones and Cobb are likely a decade or two, minimum, older than any of us participating in this forum. All provide stellar performances.

Like many jazz releases “West of 5th” standards are the major body of compositions performed. The *big* difference here (for me) is that “West of 5th” utilizes “jazz” standards and not a lot of “pop” or Broadway standards. “West of 5th” draws primarily on compositions from Charlie Parker, Billy Strayhorn, Jimmy Cobb, Thad Jones, and Wes Montgomery. And those compositions performed that were not originally composed for jazz, such as “On Green Dolphin Street” and “If I were a Bell” have over the years become incorporated as staples in the jazz repertoire.

I’m not sure how the Chesky engineers pulled it off for recordings made in a spacious church, but “West of 5th” sounds most like when I’m in the audience of the renowned Yoshi’s jazz club in Oakland, or at an impromptu jazz set in Union Square or at Sather Gate U.C. Berkeley.

For me the most authentic recordings, whether they be two channel or multi-channel are how well they hide that fact. The “best” or most authentic jazz (and classical) recordings to me are virtually seamless and actually sound like “no channels”. “West of 5th” with the somewhat more than subtle use of the rear channels, are masterfully done. To me recordings with properly employed minimalist techniques sound more like being there, albeit at the risk of sounding less like “audiophile recordings”. I am most happy that the Chesky engineers chose the path of “less is more” with the multi-channel (and two-channel) New York Sessions recordings.
曲目:
1. On Green Dolphin Street
2. Mr. Walker
3. Speak Low
4. A Child Is Born
5. If I Were A Bell
6. Billie's Bounce
7. Lotus Blossom
8. Confirmation
9. We'll Be Together Again
10. Stella By Starlight
11. Eleanor

试听:

VIP用户可直接查看以下付费内容,报错点这里
付费主题

温馨提示

记得善用社区搜索功能,那里可能会有你想要的资源;论坛站内搜索

如果你有什么需要的资源可以去资源求档发帖,求助社区的网友,我们会在第一时间给你回复哦;资源求档

回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

关闭

站长推荐上一条 /1 下一条

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|捌零 ( 反馈邮箱:admin@ptcd.net )

GMT+8, 2024-9-20 16:40 , Processed in 0.072286 second(s), 42 queries .