版主

音符
音乐币
贡献

音乐大神

发表于 2020-2-14 09:34:36 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
简介:
Composer: David Chesky
Performer: Tom Chiu (violin), Wonjung Kim (soprano), Jeffrey Khaner (flute)
Orchestra: Area 31
Conductor: Anthony Aibel
Audio CD
Number of Discs: 1 SACD-R
Format: ISO
Bit Depth: 64(2.8 MHz/1 Bit)
Number of channels: 5.0, 2.0
Label: Chesky
Size: 2.43 GB
Recovery: +3%
Scan: yes
Server: datafile

By raffells:

Can I start this review by saying I will downgrade the sonics of all previous reviews by half a star after listening to this remarkable disc.Its a sonic marvel.Quickly on to the Music which is hard to describe by comparing to other composers as some have done..You cannot …as its so original..Albeit the three works are different the names Messaen Hendrix Martinu Stravinsky Ravel and a dozen others may come to mind but dont individually come close…Virtuoso fiddle playing in (1),nice singing in (2)dazzling flute concerto that is more a concerto for orchestra and flute..It has parts for handclappers that bring to mind Lord of the Dance Irish music…so if you are totally confused by this description its gonna take someone better than me to stick a label on it….Fun Serious music….Demo disc whatever..BUY BUY BUY..

By Chris:

While basically agreeing with "raffel's" review I'm not quite as enthusiastic about this disc as he obviously is.And I see no reason to downgrade other discs.

It is quite interesting music yes. And very well ,albeit a bit closely recorded, with solo instruments violin and flute,very close indeed.

But tonally and timbrally things really shine and the sound is very lifelike.

I have just upgraded my system with Musical Fidelity's X-PSU V3 power supply and unlike "raffels" I feel the need to upgrade several of my earlier reviews regarding sound quality.
I really like the two first movements of the Violin Concerto ,but find the hand-clapping and the "Bach Brandenburg Concerto style" third movement less successful.The Baroque sound-world seems strangely out of place in this otherwise quite modern Violin Concerto.
And there is more than one, almost literal quote from Stravinsky's Rite of Spring.But I can live with that.

I'm still getting to grips with The girl from Guatemala. Possibly I'll like it more when I get to know it more.Maybe it's all the hand-clapping that I find hard to digest?

The Concerto for Flute and Orchestra is quite captivating and melodic with some atmospheric scoring and like the Violin Concerto it is full of nice rhytms.

On the other hand, I again find the recurring hand-clapping a bit strange and not quite convincing.
But on the whole David Chesky's music is, both serious and "happy" ,"jazzy" music that "rocks" and might serve as an entry to even more demanding modern music.
Recommended.
Review by The New York Time - September 18, 2005

By Allan Kozinn:

"DAVID CHESKY writes concert works influenced by jazz and Latin music, and works in Latin forms with undercurrents of North American and European classicism. He has the luxury of releasing his music through a family-run label that specializes in classical music and jazz, but don't write his discs off as vanity projects. The music on this new one is deftly orchestrated and full of original ideas, and Mr. Chesky has enlisted superb players, including Jeffrey Khaner, the principal flutist of the Philadelphia Orchestra, and Tom Chiu, a New York violinist who has become prominent in new-music circles.

The three pieces here - two virtuosic, lyrical concertos and a vocal work - combine a gritty sophistication with a street-level energy and currents of exotic folkishness. All three include flamencolike clapping and stamping, an effect that could grow tiresome if it weren't used so inventively, both as a quirky alternative to conventional percussion and as a tightly intertwined line of rhythmic counterpoint.

The Violin Concerto begins with a consonant, na?ly poplike chord progression, but the bouncy opening quickly shatters into a spiky, vigorous deconstruction. Mr. Chiu gives its slow movement the shape and intensity of a dramatic monologue, and he summons considerable energy for the finale, which weaves 12-tone themes into rhythms and textures drawn from the last movement of Bach's "Brandenburg" Concerto No. 3.

The Flute Concerto heads in different directions, often taking on an accent of mid-20th-century French urbanity but sometimes borrowing Brazilian moves as well. Its lyricism suits Mr. Khaner's sound, but he seems equally at home in the music's rougher moments, including its explosively rhythmic finale.

Mr. Chesky's vocal writing in "The Girl From Guatemala," a setting of a poem by the Cuban writer and revolutionary José Martí, glides between Mozartean gracefulness and contemporary angularity. Wonjung Kim, the soprano, sounds comfortable at eithe

曲目:
David Chesky - Violin, Flute Concertos - Area 31 (2005)

01. Concerto for Violin and Orchestra - Allegro molto 09:04
02. Concerto for Violin and Orchestra - Andante misterioso 09:44
03. Concerto for Violin and Orchestra - Allegro maestoso 07:33
04. The Girl From Guatemala 07:33
05. Concerto for Flute and Orchestra - Largo; presto 09:11
06. Concerto for Flute and Orchestra - Adagio; cantabile 05:44
07. Concerto for Flute and Orchestra - Allegro con spirito 07:42

VIP用户可直接查看以下付费内容,报错点这里
付费主题

温馨提示

记得善用社区搜索功能,那里可能会有你想要的资源;论坛站内搜索

如果你有什么需要的资源可以去资源求档发帖,求助社区的网友,我们会在第一时间给你回复哦;资源求档

回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

关闭

站长推荐上一条 /1 下一条

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|捌零 ( 反馈邮箱:admin@ptcd.net )

GMT+8, 2024-9-24 04:29 , Processed in 0.084144 second(s), 42 queries .