Bit Depth: 64(2.8 MHz/1 Bit)
Number of channels: 5.0, 2.0
Label: Caro Mitis
Size: 2.62 GB
Recovery: +3%
Scan: yes
Server: datafile

SS-CD.net review by mwagner1962 October 6, 2006

This SACD from Caro Mitis is a somewhat different departure from their normal release of music from well known

composers like Mozart & Bach to unknown composers like Wölfl & Rebel.
Britten certainly falls into the well known category, but this music is some more of his less known material.

In fact, the only selection on this recording that is actually familiar to me is the "Six Metamorphoses after

Ovid". My 1st encounter with this particular composition was years ago while living in Ohio. I heard a CD of

this piece played by the superb principal oboe of the Cleveland Orchestra, John Mack. For years I searched for

that recording to no avail.
Alexi Utkin"s playing, like on his other Caro Mitis SACDs, is stunning. I have heard few oboists who

demonstrate such a total mastery of what is perhaps the most fiendish instrument, while having such a warm &

pleasing sound. This selection alone makes this SACD a winner.
The other selections are very enjoyable as well. The Phantasy Quartet (written when he was only 19) already

shows Britten"s mastery of composition. Whereas many people equate Britten"s homosexuality to the content of

his music (I hate to mention this but his struggle with his sexuality does dominate much of his music,

especially his operas "Billy Bud" & "Peter Grimes"). However, the interesting "Insect Pieces" really represent

nothing more than witty musical illustrations of bugs, & the music is very clever indeed!
The final composition "Temporal Variations" is a composition that IS laden with meaning. I am not going to go

into this here, so you will have to buy this recording to learn more. SORRY!! Originally arranged for Oboe &

Piano, Mr. Utkin & another person (Viktor Kozodov) arranged this for string orchestra. Once again, this is

typical Britten…masterful, enjoyable, & a treat to listen to.
I will eventually sound like a broken record when I review future Caro Mitis SACDs. Let"s face it, these SACDs

are some of the BEST SOUNDING RECORDINGS available!!! The Polyhymnia team has definitely got their ducks in a

row when the record the various Caro Mitis artists.
HIGHLY recommended!!!!
if you live in USA & would like to know how to order these, please e-mail me & I will let you know how to get

them. You can get my e-mail address from my profile!

SA-CD.net:

Site review by mwagner1962 October 6, 2006
Performance: Sonics:

This SACD from Caro Mitis is a somewhat different departure from their normal release of music from well known

composers like Mozart and Bach to unknown composers like Wölfl and Rebel.

Britten certainly falls into the well known category, but this music is some more of his less known material.

In fact, the only selection on this recording that is actually familiar to me is the "Six Metamorphoses after

Ovid". My first encounter with this particular composition was years ago while living in Ohio. I heard a CD of

this piece played by the superb principal oboe of the Cleveland Orchestra, John Mack. For years I searched for

that recording to no avail.

Alexi Utkin"s playing, like on his other Caro Mitis SACDs, is stunning. I have heard few oboists who

demonstrate such a total mastery of what is perhaps the most fiendish instrument, while having such a warm and

pleasing sound. This selection alone makes this SACD a winner.

The other selections are very enjoyable as well. The Phantasy Quartet (written when he was only 19) already

shows Britten"s mastery of composition. Whereas many people equate Britten"s homosexuality to the content of

his music (I hate to mention this but his struggle with his sexuality does dominate much of his music,

especially his operas "Billy Bud" and "Peter Grimes"). However, the interesting "Insect Pieces" really

represent nothing more than witty musical illustrations of bugs, and the music is very clever indeed!

The final composition "Temporal Variations" is a composition that IS laden with meaning. I am not going to go

into this here, so you will have to buy this recording to learn more. SORRY!! Originally arranged for Oboe and

Piano, Mr. Utkin and another person (Viktor Kozodov) arranged this for string orchestra. Once again, this is

typical Britten…masterful, enjoyable, and a treat to listen to.

I will eventually sound like a broken record when I review future Caro Mitis SACDs. Let"s face it, these SACDs

are some of the BEST SOUNDING RECORDINGS available!!! The Polyhymnia team has definitely got their ducks in a

row when the record the various Caro Mitis artists.

HIGHLY recommended!!!!

if you live in the US and would like to know how to order these, please e-mail me and I will let you know how

to get them. You can get my e-mail address from my profile!

Copyright © 2006 Mark Wagner and SA-CD.net

Review by JJ May 28, 2007 (3 of 5 found this review helpful)
Performance: Sonics:
Voici un enregistrement regroupant l"intégralité des œuvres pour Hautbois de Benjamin Britten. Partie mineure

de sa musique de chambre, ces partitions n"en demeurent pas moins dignes d"intérêt comme nous le prouve avec

brio ce disque exemplaire. Avec les "Six métamorphoses d"après Ovide" Op. 49 datant de 1951, le compositeur

anglais marche sur les traces de Debussy. Réussissant pleinement son pari de traduire en musique la poésie

d"Ovide, Britten apporta aux six parties de son œuvre les descriptions suivantes mettant en lumière son propos.

1) Pan jouant d"une flûte en roseaux dans laquelle s"est transformée sa bien aimée Syrinx. 2) Phaéton qui n"a

pu arrêter les chevaux ailés dans leur impétueuse course, a été foudroyé et est tombé de son char dans l"eau du

fleuve Pandus. 3) Niobé pleurant la mort de ses quatorze enfants se transforme en montagne. 4) Bacchus, dont

les festins sont pleins de rires, de bavardage des femmes et de cris de garçons. 5) Narcisse, séduit par sa

propre image se transforme en fleur. 6) Aréthuse qui, fuyant l"amour d"Althée, dieu des fleuves, s"est

transformée en fontaine. Le Quatuor Fantaisie Op. 2 qui suit est une pièce pour hautbois, violon, alto et

violoncelle datant de 1932. C"est l"œuvre d"un jeune homme de 19 ans. Insect Pieces Op. Posthume est une petite

partition regroupant deux pièces arrangées ici pour hautbois et orchestre à cordes par Leonid Hoffman. Datant

de 1935, elles précèdent Temporal Variations Op. Posthume dont Viktor Kozodov et Alexei Utkin offrent une

version également pour hautbois et orchestre à cordes. Ce Super Audio CD en pur DSD rend une nouvelle fois

justice au talent d"Utkin. Mais cette fois, la musique choisie, plus que tout autre, met en lumière la maîtrise

du souffle, le contrôle des nuances et la finesse d"une ligne musicale vibrante et sensuelle. Utkin offre ainsi

au compositeur britannique le plus bel hommage qui soit. Car chez Britten, et comme pour une dernière

"métamorphose" chaque note ne demande qu"à se transformer en poésie…

Jean-Jacques Millo

曲目:
Alexei Utkin / Алексей Уткин
Hermitage Chamber Orchestra / Камерный Оркестр "Эрмитаж"
Benjamin Britten: The Complete Works for Oboe

Six Metamorphoses after Ovid, op. 49 (1951) for oboe solo. Dedicated to Joy Boughton

01. Pan, who played upon the reed pipe which was Syrinx, his beloved [2:20]
02. Phaeton, who made upon the chariot of the sun for one day and was hurled into the river Padus by a

thunderbolt [1:13]
03. Niobe, who, lamenting the death of her fourteen children, was turned into a mountain [2:35]
04. Bacchus, at whose feast is heard the noise of gaggling women"s tattling tongues and shouting out of boys

[2:30]
05. Narcissus, who fell in love with his own image and became a flower [3:40]
06. Arethusa, who, flying from the love of Alpheus the river god, was turned into a fountain [2:25]
07. Phantasy Quartet, op.2 (1932) for oboe, violin, viola and cello. Dedicated to Leon Goossens [12:35]

Insect Pieces, op. posth. (1935)
Arranged for oboe and string orchestra by Leonid Hoffman

08. The Grasshoper [3:22]
09. The Wasp [1:52]

Temporal Variations, op. posth. (1936). Arranged for oboe and string orchestra by Viktor Kozodov and Alexei

Utkin. Dedicated to Montagu Slater

10. Theme. Andante rubato [1:32]
11. Oration. Lento quasi recitativo [1:41]
12. March. Alla marcia [1:16]
13. Exercises. Allegro molto e con fuoco [1:02]
14. Commination. Adagio con fuoco [1:28]
15. Chorale. Molto lento [1:57]
16. Waltz. Allegretto rubato [1:16]
17. Polka. Tempo di Polka. Allegro [1:37]
18. Resolution. Maestoso (ma non troppo lento) [1:46]

VIP用户可直接查看以下付费内容,报错点这里
付费主题

温馨提示

记得善用社区搜索功能,那里可能会有你想要的资源;论坛站内搜索

如果你有什么需要的资源可以去资源求档发帖,求助社区的网友,我们会在第一时间给你回复哦;资源求档

回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

关闭

站长推荐上一条 /1 下一条

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|捌零 ( 反馈邮箱:admin@ptcd.net )

GMT+8, 2024-9-20 17:19 , Processed in 0.074453 second(s), 42 queries .